Thursday, July 16, 2009

Now she can get rid of debt, add to savings or invest

Q I am a 24-year old graduate student living in Minneapolis. I have very little take-home pay as a result of my tuition deduction (about $11,000 for the academic year). But I have secured a job for the summer that will provide me with about $7,000 between May and August. What you think I should do with this extra income?

Should I leave the money in my savings account? Invest it? Or should I pay the remaining $3,000 on my car loan? (I don't have any student loans.) I invested a significant proportion of my additional income last summer in relatively low-risk mutual funds and have watched it dwindle away in the last six months, so I was unsure about that route this year.

Read the rest of this article by Chris Farrell on Star Tribune.

No comments:

Post a Comment