Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Could you consolidate your student loans if your loan amount is under $10,000?

I'm thinking about attending grad school in the fall of 2006. I am currently repaying my undergrad student loans in which amount to only about $8000. Would it be wise for me to consolidate my loans now? What company can I use since my loan amount is under $10,000? How would I be affected by consolidating my loans before beginning grad school?
Consolidate Student Loans Under $10,000

If you have a federal student loan then you can consolidate your loan starting from $7,500.

You can use http://www.scholarpoint.com to consolidate your loan. There are calculators to tell you how much you're paying each month before you consolidate your loan. However if you're studying again don't you need to get another loan?

Visit http://www.consolidatestudentloanscritic.com for a quick introduction to how loan consolidation works. Well if you're getting another loan then before you consolidate get, a new federal loan and then consolidate both loans.

This is the best way to go. Because $8,000 is not a lot to consolidate so if you need the money you might as well borrow more.

However if you consolidate your current loan of $8,000 there is a way to re-consolidate your loan again. Here's a brief outline.

1. Get a new federal loan for let's say $10,000 at 6.5%.
2. Then, talk with your current loan consolidator and tell them you want to combine a new loan with your current consolidated loan. Some lenders will allow you to do this but before you consolidate ask them first!

Hope this helps and good luck with your new grad course!

No comments:

Post a Comment